The Adobe Chapel Museum
The Adobe Chapel was originally built in 1850 as a home, and was converted to a church by Don José Aguirre in 1858. After having been bulldozed for street realignment in the 1930s, the WPA rebuilt the adobe chapel in 1937. Much of the interior artifacts from the original chapel have been retained, including the tabernacle, the altar with its beautiful marbleized finish, some woodwork including pews and doors, and José Aguirre's tombstone is laid in the floor.
Visit the Adobe Chapel Museum
3963 Conde Street in historic Old Town San Diego
Phone (619) 297-7511
Saturday & Sunday 11am-5pm & by appointment
Closed Christmas day
Directions & Parking
The Adobe Chapel is located at 3963 Conde Street in historic Old Town San Diego. A small number of 2-hour unmetered parking spaces are available on the streets of Old Town. Free all-day parking is available in large public parking lots on Juan Street between Harney and Twiggs Streets.
Click to view area map
MAP IT with Mapquest (Opens separate window)
Read all about the Adobe Chapel in the following articles published in SOHO's quarterly Reflections
Whaley House Home
Copyright © 2000
, Save Our Heritage Organisation